Branches & leaves against sky
Fundraising guidance

Making your fundraising legal and safe

If you're collecting money

For street or door-to-door collections, you must apply to your local authority (council) for a permit. Please give at least a month's notice of your collection although some councils may require you to apply many months in advance. 

If you're placing a collection tin on a shop counter or collecting in a supermarket, pub or shopping centre, you must seek permission from the business owner or landlord. 

If you're holding a raffle or lottery

For any raffle or lottery taking place at an event all tickets must be sold at the location and during the event. The raffle can only be promoted to raise funds for charity.  Make clear to ticket holders when the result will be announced.

You may not deduct more than £100 for expenses and £500 for prizes from the income from ticket sales for this type of lottery. More guidance including the different types of lotteries where licences are required can be found at

Public liability insurance

Do you want to put on a fundraising event? Then you need to take out public liability insurance or check that your venue's insurance covers your activity. We are unable to accept responsibility for anything untoward occurring or property being damaged as a result of your fundraising activity. 

Publicity materials

You may only use our name and logo for your fundraising activities with our written permission, and in accordance with our brand guidelines. Just let us know how you propose to use them on your own materials by emailing Please ensure all materials include our registered charity number 1097110. See our terms and conditions below for more detail. 

Fundraising Terms & Conditions

If you have any questions regarding any of the information on this page then please get in touch by emailing or calling Ros Anscombe on 01789 778541.